Tuesday 16 April 2013

Almost Flourless Orange Cake




Almost Flourless Orange Cake with Marmalade
by Jane Green
(recipe from The Love Verb)




Almost Flourless Orange Cake
1 orange
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup marmalade
icing sugar for dusting
Optional: small carton of whipping cream, rind of 1 orange

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" springform cake tin and line it with greaseproof paper.

Put the orange in a pan, cover with water and simmer for an hour (or nuke in a microwave for around 25 minutes) until soft. Cut the orange in half, remove pips and puree in a food processor.

Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick. Fold in the flour, baking powder, almonds and orange puree. Pour into the tin and bake for an hour.

Melt the marmalade in a small pan then pour through a fine sieve, pressing to get all the juice out. Spread the rind-free juice over the cake.

When cool sift icing sugar over the cake. Mix whipped cream with the orange rind and serve alongside.

I loved this cake. I would call it a dessert cake, if you know what I mean? It was moist and soft and a real treat when served with a dollop of orange scented cream. I was lucky enough to have some homemade Grapefruit Marmalade courtesy of my friend Trudi's husband and a very fine marmalade is was (thank you muchly Donald). I didn't bother sieving the marmalade as I wanted the bits of rind in the glaze and it worked very well. I just wish I had taken a photo of a slice of the cake so I could show you the lovely soft yellow crumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment